Top 15 analysis essay topics
Analysis essays are a popular choice for writing assignments. As well as testing writing ability they also let you demonstrate your ability to organize information, set it down logically and reach conclusions based on it.
When writing this type of essay you'll often be given a topic, such as an analysis of the relationships between characters in a novel. Often, however, you'll be able to choose your own topic. This can be great news, because it lets you write about a subject you're interested in and have good knowledge of. Sometimes it's hard to think of one though, so if you're in this situation here are 15 of the best topics:
- Do curfews keep teenagers out of trouble?
- Does abstinence-only sex education work?
- Is it time for more gun control in America?
- Does technology give us more free time?
- Should we send humans back to the moon and to Mars?
- Is social media a good thing for young people?
- Do too many employers want job candidates to have a degree?
- Is universal health care a good idea?
- Does it cost too much to run a political campaign in the USA?
- Is it worth giving up freedom to defeat terrorism?
- Is it possible to have a "War on terror"? Isn't terrorism a tactic rather than an opponent?
- Should banks be more tightly regulated to ensure they don't cause economic problems?
- Do TV debates between politicians prove anything?
- Should religion have a place in making laws?
- Does gay marriage harm anyone?
All these topics have been discussed in the media, so there is plenty of material to help you write your essay. Pick one that interests you and that you already know something about, because this will make your job a lot easier.
To write a good essay you should apply the scientific method in reverse; decide what conclusion you want the essay to reach, check that there is enough evidence to support that conclusion (and no knockout arguments that defeat it) then finally come up with the best question to ask that will lead to your conclusion.
It's very important when writing an analysis essay that your conclusion follows on naturally from the points you discuss in the main body of the essay. You should never discuss things in the conclusion that you haven't mentioned before. With some research, though, and a topic from the above list that you know something about, you can easily write a great essay.
Analytical Essay Topics
Choose category below:
- What causes substance abuse?
- What causes gambling addiction?
- Is there a link between upbringing and personality?
- Does birth order affect the way people make decisions?
- Why are some teenagers susceptible to peer pressure more than others?
- What distinguishes good wring from bad writing?
- What strategies are effective in ending global poverty?
- What is the most cost effective energy source in the Third World?
- What is the place of cultural values in explaining economic development?
- Does urbanization result in the misuse of resources does education influence economic development?
- Does protectionism affect a country’s competitiveness?
- Does public debt affect private investments?
- Doping: Why do athletes and sportsmen use performance enhancing drugs?
- Multiculturalism: is it possible to maintain each and every cultural identity in a multicultural society?
- Family system: Does single parenthood affect the psychological wellbeing of children.
- Do violent video games affect children positively or negatively?
- Is addiction a choice?
- Is inequality inevitable?
Organization and work
- Why is teamwork important in the workplace?
- What makes leaders effective?
- What is a successful organization?
- Does the gender pay gap affect women`s productivity?
- What is the best way to address workers’ motivation?
- What causes job burnout?
- How do effective leaders deal with conflict?
- What are the strategies to negotiate higher salaries?
- How should organizations enhance job satisfaction?
- Is democracy a tyranny of the majority?
- Does nationalism make the world more or less safe?
- Why is nationalism on the rise?
- Way recent revolutions have not led to the affected countries embracing democracy
- What is the best way of implementing the rights targeting the disenfranchised groups?
- Does population increase affect sustainable development efforts?
- Should foreign non political actors support the democratization of other countries?
- Is Karl Marx still relevant in the contemporary world?
- Should elementary school children be made to wear uniforms?
- How should schools address bullying?
- Should sex education be taught in schools?
- How does school choice affect accountability in schools?
- How to improve education standards in the U.S?
- Does superior education affect the standard of living?
- Should college tuition be abolished?
- Should tenure be abolished in higher education?
- Would a national high school curriculum improve learning standards?
- Is universal health coverage efficient?
- How should health practitioners build relationships with stakeholders?
- Should there be a price control on medicines?
- Should pharmaceutical firms be forced to disclose their cost of production and pricing surgeries?
- Should Americans be allowed to buy cheaper generic drugs outside the US?
- Should all traffic police wear body cameras?
- Should there be limits to when the police can search a vehicle?
- Are cases of police brutality systemic or individual cases?
- Should people with minor criminal officers be allowed to become police officers?
- Is community policing a viable alternative in the U.S?
- Does militarizing the police improve or affect police work?
- Does the culture of silence affect accountability among cops?
- Why does the police react differently to the similar crimes in different locations?
- Why do some teenagers engage in risky behavior?
- How should society address addictions affecting young people?
- What causes some young people to run away from home?
- How does family stability affect the way young people cope outside their comfort homes?
- How should the parents deal with young people who are rude?
- How does the mass media affect the behavior of young people?
- Do TV ratings influence the choice of programs among young people?
- What factors increase the risk of cyber bullying for young people?
- How do parenting styles affect the ability of young people to be independent and form their identities?
Class and inequality
- Does district zoning affect the financial security of the poor?
- Why are schools in poor neighborhoods underfunded?
- Why does the poverty cycle affect some places more than others?
- Should poor people be exempt from taxation?
- Does poverty affect future earnings?
- Why do gangs recruit from poor neighborhoods?
- How does family structure affect youth hang sub-culture?
- How do female gang members affect membership?
- What are the best strategies to curb gang behavior?
- Does the mass media influence perceptions and stereotypes about gang members?
- Why do people engage in criminal behavior?
- Are harsher penalties effective in curbing white collar crime?
- Why are gangs effective in recruiting new members?
Purpose of an analytical essay
There are various reasons for analytical essays, and the main purpose is assessing once understanding of a subject matter, where well-informed judgments are then made to support the evaluation. In writing the analytical essays, one has to use the formal writing style, and such essays could be utilized in policy making and research policies as they are informative. As such, it is necessary to define the concepts and terms that are analyzed in the essay, as this supports learning and gaining knowledge. The analysis further represents the reasoning where the writers and readers can assess the concept.
Another purpose of the analytical essay is to evaluate thinking and what you would do in different circumstances. To make proper decisions it is necessary to analyze the phenomenon while using critical thinking skills to support the decisions. Besides critical thinking the writer has to make conclusions while linking the main points with the theme. Readers analyze the analytical essay depending on the stated purpose and how best the writer addresses the identified phenomenon. As the audience interprets the analytical essay they ought to identify the most important themes and aspects covered
In analytical essay writing, there is emphasis on developing analytical thinking as there is a need to explain and analyze using evidence to back up the claims made. For instance, for the problem-solution analytical essay, the writer informs the readers about a problem, and uses facts to provide recommendations and actions that remedy the identified problem (s). The writer cannot make up facts when the analytical essay since he/she has to provide reasons and evidence that support the answer. At other times, the concept being analyzed is complex and the author/writer should not merely give their opinion, but rather critique some viewpoints and evaluate the phenomenon.
How to choose a great analytical essay topic
Choosing effective analytical essay topics can be daunting tasks, and efforts should be made to identify an angle hat best represents the topic.
The following tips are useful when choosing a good analytical essay topics:
- Before deciding on the analytical essay topic one has to consider various themes and brainstorm the ideas and then focus on the main ideas;
- It is necessary to choose an interesting topic as the writer has more motivation to criticize and evaluate different aspects;
- Another tip in choosing an effective topic for an analytical essay is narrowing the topic, which is manageable;
- List down the key words and define the topic;
- Research about different topics and be flexible.