Academic Counselor Cover Letter
Academic Counselors work in colleges and universities and assist students to improve their academic performance and help them choose a suitable career. Many times, Academic Counselors play a vital role for students at risk and are typically responsible for: helping students to set educational goals, presenting school programs, assisting students with major selection, collaborating with school staff, getting involved in the development of educational plans, and monitoring student progress towards educational and career goals.
A well-written cover letter sample for Academic Counselor usually focuses on skills and abilities like:
- Advising skills
- Empathy and a caring personality
- A non-judgmental approach
- Tact and diplomacy
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of academic programs
- Computer competences
- Availability and an approachable manner
The cover letter example displayed below mentions similar Academic Counselor abilities and competences.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Academic Counselor Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Fields:
Upon learning of your search for a new Academic Counselor to join your staff at Templeton University, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. As an enthusiastic and motivated professional with 12+ years of experience in student advising and support, as well as excellent communication talents and a firm commitment to achieving institutional goals, I am confident that I would become an immediate asset to your team in this role.
My background includes identifying and implementing educational standards, assisting students with class selection and scheduling concerns, and providing comprehensive academic guidance to optimize their postsecondary educational experiences. With strong interpersonal, problem solving, and organizational abilities, I am more than prepared to excel in this position and make a dynamic contribution to the success of your students.
Highlights of my qualifications include…
- Performing a broad range of academic advisory and student support responsibilities, including registration, class schedules, transfer credits, enrollment/withdrawal, and long-term course planning/selection.
- Counseling a caseload of up to 450 undergraduate and graduate students at Mississippi State College, utilizing worksheets, discussions, and interview techniques to identify student goals and shape a customized path to timely degree completion.
- Delivering presentations to educate students on institutional policies, procedures, and expectations to drive achievement of graduation requirements.
- Maintaining an 80% student retention rate through top-notch student service and career development efforts.
- Experience in working with traditional, non-traditional, domestic and international students.
- Earning a Master’s Degree in Educational Counseling from Biloxi University.
With my strong background and my demonstrated commitment to achieving—or surpassing—educational institution goals, I am well prepared to extend my record of service to Templeton University. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this position and my qualifications with you in more detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Richard W. Wooldridge
3295 Meadow Drive
Oklahoma City, OK 73107
Ms. Thelma Adams
Human Resources Manager
1151 Bird Street
Reserve, NM 87830
Nov 19, 2010
Subject: Application for position of Academic Advisor
Dear Ms. Adams,
I would like to show interest in the position advertised that of Academic Advisor. I feel sure that I am in a position to offer the kind of advisory and teaching skills that can be of great benefit to the general aims and goals of Capella University.
The value I can bring to Capella University can be summarized thus. I have:
– In excess of 8 years experience in an academic advisory capacity spent assisting students.
– Assisting skills, which include helping students, understand academic procedures and policies, as well as providing students with pertinent information about degree requirements and academic progression. I exercise a personal and supportive approach to encourage enhanced performance levels.
– An adaptable and flexible nature attained through working in situations of a demanding, mission-critical nature where the overall success of each individual, is the desired outcome.
My relationships with the students I teach are positive and encouraging. I also endeavour to carry positive relationships over to those at management level, as well as any client partners. I have a team-cantered attitude that, coupled with my drive to come up with the necessary results, is extremely likely to be of the greatest benefit to Capella University.
Can we meet to discuss the situation further? I do feel this would be of considerable benefit to us both. A face to face meeting would give me a much better chance to express my experience and qualifications and how I can contribute to Capella University. I can be contacted at (123)-251-1170, or you can email me at email@example.com.
(Signature hand written in blue pen ink)